Pages

14 January 2013

Bad Candy


Or is it?

Once upon a time my friend and I set out to try all of the candies listed at this site:

While the site is no longer being updated, it is still in existence which is pretty fucking rad!  Needless to say my friend and I got through several of the "Bad Candy" that was listed but not all.  Sometimes while I am out and about I stumble across things that would qualify as "Bad Candy".  On a recent trip to the dollar store I found a pack of Pulparindo.  The bag contained 10 individually wrapped pieces of Pulparindo.  I am a big fan of Mexican candy; especially the sweet, spicy, salty variety.  Oh also, did you know that I love tamarind?  Well now you know!  I snatched up the bag of Pulparindo and mowed through the bag fairly quickly.  I figured I better take a picture of the last one as proof that they might be laced with crack.


What's that white powder?

Ingredients:  SUGAR, TAMARIND PULP, CORN SYRUP, IODIZED SALT, CITRIC ACID, GROUND CHILI AND SODIUM BENZOATE TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS

I assume the powder is SODIUM BENZOATE since it is the only ingredient in the list I could think it would be.  But maybe it really is some sort of addictive substance...  Did you know Pulparindo has had (may still have) lead in it?  So is lead the powdery white stuff on it?  I don't know but it's probably not good for me to eat this deliciously 'Bad Candy'.  I wonder what other delicious goodies I am poisoning myself with.   God why does the bad stuff have to taste SO good?!

To outweigh the good that was this post, I will share what I whipped up for dinner last night.  I found the recipe here, this is what it looked like. YUM!

I used more squash than it asked for and white rice.

1 comment:

Comments are welcome and sometimes moderated.